Friday, February 11, 2011

indoor weather outdoor weather



it's super cold here in viking land. the canal is almost frozen solid.
you know, that was a bit of a surprise. there's canals almost everywhere.
i always associated them with venice. and amsterdam.
but they keep cropping up in other cities.
kinda like trams. i was somehow led to believe melbourne was one of the only cities with trams.
wrong.
trams are all over the shop too.
although ... not in copenhagen. so really, that point is a little moot here.
moving along ...

At this point I don't really feel like contributing. It is Sunday, and I am feeling that I should do as the Danes do on a Sunday: Nothing. I am currently reclining in what seems to be the warmest pile of clean laundry known to man, feeling cat-like. The only reason for me to get up would be to get a hot chocolate. And even then, I would probably just ask Kent. After all, I did just re-heat last night's dinner - what a wife. Aaaaah - Sundays. The clothes dryers here are sooooo good ... these clothes are sooooo warm. mmmm. and by warm i mean very hot - to take them out of the dryer you need to pull your sleeves over your hands so as not to burn yourself on the clothes. toastie goodtimes.

i thought i'd add this pic in to emphasise how hot the clothes dryers are here. i know i'm harping on about, but LOOK AT THE SIZE OF MY SOCK. it was most definitely not that small to begin with. my feet are regular sized, as are my socks. or, as kent put it "oh wow, now they'd fit sarah! bahaha!" sorry sar.

i'm loving these bronze sculptures around town. again, as mentioned before, there's something unusual about the colour of them. i keep wanting to figure it out.
as a sculptor there's always a thought in the back of my mind to try out 'ye olde' styles of the craft, such as bronze. one of my favourite artists, guiseppe penone, reckons bronze is not dissimilar to plant material. although mineral, it patinates (goes green) into a plant-like appearance. it's an interesting theory. i should look into this colour variation some more.

ok, this is a view from the top of an old churchy thing - the round house, or 'ruundhus' or some such scandinavian equivalent. you get a 360 view of the city and it's pretty amazing.
but the inside is even more awesome...

there's no stairs - only many, many swirling upward circles towards the top. all these tiny little long bricks, all lined up perfectly. the sound echoes and reverberates all the way up and down, so if there's a troupe of school kids running down from the top, screaming like little banshees, then it's REALLY ANNOYINGLY LOUD!

See that little nook up there - with a bit of light? Kent tripped and fell into one. It was very hilarious. It was even more hilarious watching him try to save himself and fall in some more.

for a little adventure we caught a train about 20kms south to a massive art gallery called Arken.
it was a pretty intriguing building, with some pretty damn good art.



this is some shots taken inside a work by olafur eliasson.
he's some sort of phenomenological genius.
which basically means he makes art that causes intense effects on your central nervous system.
this one, your blind passage, was a 100m long, enclosed passageway (as the title would no doubt hint at). inside, there was complete fog. you could only see about 60cm in front of you, and you had to navigate your way to the end. the effect it had on your eyesight can't really be explained. but after a certain point, you could only really see all the 'floaties' in your eyes and maybe like a million sparkly dots.
and occasionally you'd bump into your partner or the wall and remember what was going on.
oh, and the colour changes very gradually from white, to yellow, to red and then back again.
it was amazing.

I would like to second that. If a space has the ability to make you feel non-existent, this is it. After a few steps into this space, there were no walls, exit, or the original entrance to be seen. At all. Kent would be in front of me, take two steps, and then be completely gone. This was one of the most unsettling physical experiences I have ever had. Once I was in the space, I thought "oh my, maybe this isn't a great idea, maybe I should just leave." I turned around, and there was nowhere to go. Just bright yellow space. When I say bright I mean electrifying. Much squinting. Gave the sensation of a bizarre sand storm. I eventually discovered if I put my hand in front of my face, I could see that. That was all. Kent is right. It truly was amazing.



this is brilliant too.
the work itself explains its genius.
it's by a duo, i should remember their names, but alas.




some more random coolness from the buildings around town.
loving much of it. wishing for a giant blank warehouse shell to one day install some of the architectural goodnesses that we've discovered into a future house of AWESOME.
or, 'Orsum Huus' (dork)


No comments:

Post a Comment