Thursday, February 10, 2011

art, art, everywhere, but not a drop to drink*

*This is a lie. Beverages are plentiful and good.

Helloooooooo!! Today's adventuring was cut a little on the short side because not only was it 'oh my god I can't feel my chin' freezing, it was also RAINING for much part of the day. And it was deceptive rain that appeared soft and nearly snow like until I went to grab Kent's arm and it was sopping. We were quite soggy by the time we got home. But though the rain forced us inside it didn't dampen our spirits! (Oh ho ho.)

In the last couple of days we have seen some great local areas and some very beautiful art and design, some of which I have posted below. We've discovered that Copenhagen is also great for funky little cafes that are almost installations in their own right. Good to slip in for a couple of hours to thaw out!


This shop among many others was quite awesome. This is a cardboard oven in the window. (No they didn't appear to sell any ovens, or oven paraphernalia, cardboard or otherwise.) It has inspired me to make my own cardboard furniture - who needs a real table anyway?



Now I know it doesn't look it, but it was VERY RAINY here. But I thought the good people back home should see a selection of sculpt-y goodness so here you have it. This is just past a partially FROZEN canal that was filled with beautiful (and probably very cold) white swans.




Here is an example of the good times to be had while you drink your coffee. These creatures are from a cafe played cards in for some time (waiting in vain for the rain to stop) - crazy doll heads for lights above each table and bizarre taxidermy in every corner. Mr Bear (pictured) was outside the toilets. In the men's room, I was told by my beloved that one had to urinate into a pair of open lips. Yum yum! I was also sitting next to a Antelope-headed man riding an ostrich.





We went on a train adventure to Louisiana, a massive 'estate' gallery museum about 30 k (I just made that up, I have no idea how far it is. A train ride.) north of the city. The building itself was stunning (had no idea how to capture it on camera, especially seeing as I am taking them from my phone!) and a maze in itself. The space was set into these amazing gardens (see above) and one felt that you were exploring an amazing rehabilitation clinic. The gallery space was sunk into the gardens, so walking through the spaces and looking out windows you were often only a head or so above the ground ... which may or not make sense. The collection was impressive and exhausting. There is only so much classic-contemporary that you can take in at once!



Kent having a giggle at the Paul McCarthy video work - good call.



Kent having his nose picked by a giant bronze thumb.



The main entrance of Louisiana.









The above pics are from a couple of shows we saw in Kunstforeningen in the city. One of them, WAX, which omg, was works by artists who use wax (oh so creepy), and a small show of Louise Bourgeois' work. Golly gosh I do love her work. The last image ... I don't really know.





Dear Mummy,
Here is the open sandwich I tried to describe to you on skype. It really was truly delicious and so very Brigid. Right down to the lehkebrot (not even going to attempt spelling) - the breads they have here are. so. good. Anything fun you can think of to spice up your bread experience, the Danes have thought of it first and put it into crisp, moist and fluffy practice.



I almost need to do a separate post of the very comical hotdog images that are everywhere in this city. So far this is my favourite, but I think I need to start collecting. We might need to do another infantile post of Danish words that are a little bit rude in English: I did see a sign in a shop window yesterday promoting 'SLUT SPURT' - what's not to giggle about?!




The gardens of the Danish Art and Design Museum. Again with the yum yum.




I had to post this, not so much for it's beauty (well it is all very beautiful and lovely) but more so for the fact that all over this museum, artifacts were simply stacked on the tops of wardrobes, or 17th century tea chests. Brilliant. Some of them looked as if they might topple off if you stepped to heavily.



Some things less beautiful and more oh my god that is frightening why god why?






This is amazing - I have been working on some drawings of 'ghosts' from when we moved, and all of our furniture was wrapped in sheets; we then stumbled on these statues that have been covered during some renovation/refurbishment of the building they surround. I am slightly curious at whose underneath the sheets, but loving that they look like their dressed up as ghosts. They look like they are chasing each other around the gardens in a blind game of tag. Heh heh.




The gorgeous Kent in all his glory - trying to figure out the technique they have used to get it 'that colour'.

No comments:

Post a Comment