Thursday, January 19, 2017

A compendium of slides and Phernergan fail.

I debated whether to share our little Phernergan experiment, but have decided that if I think it's ok to brag about my cute kid on the internet, I also need to share the love when things go terribly wrong. We have an overnight flight booked for our return, and after our last experience of this with a small human, we decided to at least get the script for Phernergan and JUST SEE. Apparently you need to test it out on your child before you 'need' to use it, in case they have an adverse reaction (meaning: completely opposite effect).

Well. It was totally unremarkable. Woo hoo! Viv went to bed and then woke up at a standard time the next day. He may have been slightly more sedated, there was a little less shouting through the night (but my plans of him sleeping in until 9 failed, so to perfectly honest I thought it seemed pointless).

But then the following day happened. Oh. My. God. The Day of The Tantrum. I now have children kicking me inside and out (because I'm pregnant – no one is kicking me THAT hard from the outside, ew.) and it's terrifying. To top off The Day of The Tantrum, it then followed with The Night of the All Night. Have you ever had one of those days where all you can do is long for it to be over, but then you also dread the night because you fear it might be worse? Since we've been here, I've been sleeping incredibly badly. Last night was exceptionally alert for everyone, with Viv still fussy (at one point wailing 'I've got boogies coming out!')  and restless after his evil mother drugged him the night before (I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry) and the noises in our apartment were slowly eating away at my soul.

Earlier in the day, our host delivered some additional supplies after an irritable guest (moi) demanded that she provide sponges and tea towels provided so we could at least wash our dishes. A common feature of Japanese apartments is that almost every wall is fitted with a little computer that operates the hot water/heating/front door/mystery item.  As this is my second trip to Japan and 4th apartment here, I now understand how terribly spoiled I've been. Usually these panels are plastered with tiny little dymo labels for losers like me who can't read Japanese, reading 'yes/no/hot/cold/don't touch this EVER. It's great!

However in THIS apartment, there is NOTHING. Just a void of Kanji characters and a smug yet valid air of 'learn another language you lazy shits.' This apartment also has a function that is new to me, called 'Ventilation'. What this means is that the fan in the bathroom does many things and has many buttons. And is incredibly fucking noisy – from where we sleep it's a similar sound to a leaf blower that happens to be in bed with you, with an extra whistle from the corner. Pair this with the fridge and the mystery tap-tap from under the sink (we're on the third floor. Can rats climb?) and the fact that I ate a bowl of choco flakes, half a block of chocolate and a hot chocolate before bed (it was a really hard day and I can't drink), I was pretty much tweaking.

To get to the point. After the host delivered our extra treats, she reset the whole ventilation panel so it was on a timer, I suspect to punish us for being irritating. Last night I got up 3 times to turn it off and was halfway between writing a 3am email to the host and weeping into my tatami mat before I finally managed to turn the fucker off.

So I have taken it upon myself to annotate it for anyone else who might visit Japan, and might need help with this extra fun contraption. You're welcome.



I finally accepted my insomnia fate at 4am, and simply waited patiently in bed for morning. If I hadn't been so tired, I would have gone to the 24 shopping mall nearby to see what the fuck people do at 3am in Tokyo – which I plan on doing next time. Fortunately I drifted into a gentle noncommittal doze shortly after 5, to then be awoken by the pitter patter of little shits at 6.15. AREN'T YOU EXHAUSTED FROM SCREAMING ALL DAY AND THROUGH THE NIGHT?!

However, the optimist in me (she is very very small and weak) is able to brightly accept that today is written off due to the forecast for snow and rain, and the added fact that I am a mere shell of a human. Kent started work late so I could TREAT MYSELF to a trip to the supermarket alone, giving me time and space to use google translate for every single packaged good (I gave up when an onigiri rice ball filling came up as 'sexy power'). From there I took reckless stabs at selecting food that looked interesting. I'll keep you posted.

But that sounds terribly sad – it isn't having an all nighter has reset my thinking brain, and I am now on fire. Below are a series of images from our last few days to cheer you up – I know it make it seem like it's all ventilation this, and panel that, but in reality, what a wonderful time we are having despite those very small irritations. It has to be said that having extra time with Kent has been incredible, and each day I am amazed at his ability to get up and hang out with us for a few hours before going to work – he's seen so much, written so much, met so many people, yet for me it feels like we've been chilling out drinking coffee for the last week. So everyone wins.

Compared to our last trip here 18 months ago, boutique coffee shops have popped up everywhere. This gorgeous little cafe near our apartment has won my heart with delicious coffee and ego stroking – I think I must be able to imitate well, as whenever I say hello/thank you or order anything, locals think I speak Japanese, and then are very complimentary about my small efforts – It's encouraging and inspiring to try and learn more. This is my breakfast* from yesterday, which I couldn't resist ordering because it was 'eggslut' on the menu. An egg over mashed potato – quite possibly instant mashed potato, and the only paleo thing (maybe) I have found in Tokyo. This country knows how to cook an egg to perfection.

*Gah I admit it, I had a Croque Monsieur too. SO MUCH WHITE CHEESEY GOODNESS.


This was one of the funniest experiences ever, when a group of school girls turned around and saw Viv on the train. 20 minutes of photos, giggling (mostly from him) and squealing selfies (mostly from them) ensued. I was torn between 'ok girls, that's enough – just ONE photo each' to 'just give me a minute so I can fix his hair.' So unbelievably smarmy. Kent and I have never seen Viv behave that way. He was giddy.

Wednesday we ventured to little district west of Shibuya, Shimo-Kitazawa. Painfully self-aware with trendiness, it is like the Brunswick of Tokyo. Lots of little bars and music venues, vintage and second hand shops and your usual fare. We were turned away from a Cafe because we had Viv too. However some seriously good shopping was had, and Viv was remarkably chilled out for a kid who desperately needed a playground and a poo (both were discovered after lunch, thank god). 

Another day of sunshine and loveliness.

Just a few weeks ago this kid was terrified of slides. Now it is the ultimate zone for getting out his yah-yahs.

Most inanimate objects here have faces.

In the play area at 3331 (Kent's residency). I should have seen this as an omen. Because the tantrum that followed was colossal.  
That's right. That's my hand holding him down on the change table. For the first time ever I had to use the restraints provided to prevent injury to him or myself. It's also the first time a child's scream has created an instant headache behind my temple and an uncontrollable urge to cry and lash out myself. This trip has certainly tested our tolerance for bullshit behaviour – I truly can understand how parents hit their children. I'm of course not advocating it in any way, but it took a lot, a LOT of restraint not to do it. Parents who deal with this behaviour on a regular basis, I fucking salute you. 


Naturally as soon as I got Viv's pants back on I scurried out of 3331 with my head and heart pounding and my gaze to the floor and headed straight back home to put the little demon to bed. So what's a girl to do while her firstborn sleeps? Why, put the heater up to 18 (look out) and prance around taking gratuitous belly shots. It's easy to forget I'm pregnant here because of all the layers, so I don't notice how big I'm getting. And yes, I am only 25 weeks. I'd say that the belly is 20/80 ratio of baby to choco flakes.

More slides near our apartment to soothe the savage beast.

Today is a new day, a new slide!! This is just as it began to snow. That's a tempura sweet potato from the supermarket in Viv's hand – after I gave it to him I realised how here that seemed like a perfectly acceptable snack food, where as it's pretty much akin to giving your kid a potato cake that you brought home at 1am the night before.
I don't even know myself any more. 

So far we've only had a handful of tantrums and one cafe extraction,
but I wanted to emphasise that there is still love in the child. 

Originally I had planned on taking Viv across town to the Toyko Toy Museum, but what with the promise of rain our respective energy levels, a day at home seemed appropriate. We've settled in for a day indoors with drawing, games and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. 

xox
Lj. 


No comments:

Post a Comment